Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about Energy Performance Certificates, Domestic Energy Assessors and Home Information Packs.

Q. Why do I need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to sell my home?

A. 2007 Commencing on the 1 August and phased continued in phases over the remainder of the year, all properties will require an EPC before they can be placed on the market. This is an EU Directive to the UK. The EU has to ensure that all members are complying with the problems associated with climate change and are working towards a more efficient use of energy. It is now mandatory. The EPC will form part of the Home Information Pack which from August 1st is a legal requirement for the sale of larger (4 or more bedrooms) residential property in the UK.

Q. What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

A. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is an objective report on the energy efficiency of a property

Q. Does an actual survey take place at my property?

A. Yes, an internal and external inspection of the property is carried out by a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor who will carry out the following:-

Q. What will the Certificate provide me with?

A. It will provide you with clear information on the energy performance of the property and a cost effective means for improvement.

Q. Why is the Government insisting on the use Home Information Packs?

A. To make the home buying process:-

Q. What legislation is there to ensure compliance?

A. Housing Act 2004 Part 5 HIPS:-

Q. What will the EPC not tell me?

Q. Who will be able to issue an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

A. EPCs can only be produced by accredited individuals. These individuals can be Licensed Home Inspectors or Domestic Energy Assessors that have the nationally recognized qualification and are members of an accreditation scheme. PropertyCert are accredited with Elmhurst Energy Systems.

Q. What is the cost of an EPC?

A. The charges will vary depending on the size of your property. Please call for details or refer to the following link for guideprices

Q. Do I have to carry out the recommendations given on the certificate?

A. No, the recommendations are for your consideration or for the future owner to consider.

Q. How long will the energy assessment take?

A. Our Domestic Energy Assessor will take about an hour for an average 3 bedroom, semi-detached property.
The more detailed the property is, the longer the assessment will take, for example

In such cases time will be taken to study the property in the office, with further investigations and reflection on the evidence gained from the property.Therefore, an average energy performance certificate will take an hour and a half to two hours to complete.

Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Sitemap | ©2014 Property Cert